Sunday, March 6, 2011

Pottery Barn Moss Letters ..... For Less

Pottery Barn....oh it makes the majority of us girlies swoon.....even those of us who like
more of a hodge podge vintagey look long for a little Potter Barn once in a while.


My family room and kitchen are undergoing a major re-do ( I'll share later) and one item I really really want for my mantle is a live moss letter.
Like these at Pottery Barn....that go for a mere $79....WHAT ?!?!?
Come on Pottery Barn....that is a tad bit pricey....doncha think ?
So when you see something in Pottery Barn you really really want but they are asking and arm and a leg for it what do you do?
You re-create it....yep, you do it yaself.
Hobby Lobby had everything I needed.
I picked up 2 packages of live moss at $3.99 each and
I decided to do a word instead of one letter
so I picked up 5 chipboard letters at $1.77 each.
Hobby Lobby does have large letters JUST like the Pottery Barn ones,
but since I am doing a whole word I needed smaller letters and the chipboard ones are perfect.
I used my tacky glue...it's nice and thick.
With your finger smear some glue on a small area and tear of small chunks of live moss
press it down and repeat.
So simple.
I had no problems....the moss stayed on perfectly.
If you don't like the little strays the stick out....give your letters a little trim.
Eeeek...I love it.
Happy is one of my favorite words.
(the mantle is a work in progress at this time....I'll show you that when it's done too)
This indeed makes me HAPPY.
For under $20 I have a whole live moss words...that's awesome.
(NOTE: the P would not stand on it's own, it's weighted unevenly on the loop side so I stuck some poster putty behind those and it did the trick.)
If you make moss letters of your own I would LOVE to see them.

post signature

Pin It!

11 comments:

sjmcdowell said...

This is a great idea thank you Jane!!

Hugs,

Susan

Julie said...

Your letters turned out great! Nice job! :)

Kate Nyquist said...

oh wow, that looks fabulous!! i found you through the "Naps on the Porch" link! Kate :)

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

These look great. I think I am going to add this project to the "to make" list. So much better than the price PB is asking!
http://itsybitsypaper.blogspot.com

tracylaf ツ said...

These are GREAT!!! I love the look of Pottery Barn anything...just for a whole lot LESS! Check out my Pottery Barn Easter Eggs! :) Great post!

Abby said...

I absolutely LOVE this idea! I am so going to borrow this idea and try it! Thanks for sharing!

Ellie said...

I made these with letters and moss from Michael's! I'm using em for decor on our sweethearts table at our wedding in September...then I can repurpose them in our house after :)

Thanks for sharing!

Jenny said...

I love these! Thanks for the tip about he poster putty. I have some letters for other holidays that I have to prop up. This will work perfectly!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

How cool that I just found you! I just purchased my supplies to make this next week!

jenn said...

i think this is a super idea!! Wow!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to try this!! I was already at Hobby Lobby once today, oh well guess I need to go again!!! Thank you